Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Bomb Squad

So I get home at 17:00 and put my bag up in my room. I step out of my room to say hi to people on my program and people start screaming about how the bomb squad is on its way. Being the naive American that I am, I run to my porch to see what's going on right outside my building and because I wanted to see the robot. Our director said we could go to our porch and observe, but once my roommates and I got up there, the police had told our director, Yossi, that we could not be on the porch so he waved us back inside. Many of us naive Americans and Canadians were trying to come up with clever ways to see what was going on. We tried a porch that's hard to see from. We couldn't see anything, so we tried the library in the old building right under my porch. Well the police saw us, but didn't say anything. Unfortunately, we still couldn't see anything. We then found out the suspicious package was inside the synagogue in the gates of base. We discussed if we'd actually be safe or not should a bomb go off. One person said yes, others said no. The streets were completely blocked off however. By 18:00, the bomb squad finished their job, the police opened the streets back up and now the hustle and bustle that is Jerusalem rush hour has started up again. As it turns out, the suspicious package was just a bag of books. It's a bit of an adrenaline rush to get to see (well not really see as much as have the experience of) this. If it were to happen again, I don't think we would be quite as excited as we were tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment