Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shana Tova, Kings, and Zumba

Yesterday during college, my first class Ulpan Aleph Plus (the highest level of Aleph) had a lot of laughs during the second half of class which just so happened to be the funnier teacher. He picked up a backpack and asked us what was inside the bag. Of course we said we didn't know and that he should show us. He pulls out a water bottle and instead of saying it was water inside, we jokingly said it was Vodka. For some strange reason, he played along with us and said "Why do you think I'm always so happy?" Then, as part of the lesson, he gives us colors and tells us to draw as though we are ages 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. It was so funny to see twelve 18-year olds coloring pictures. My second class was Jerusalem through the Ages. We had a lecture then went on a tour of the Israel Museum (which has a 1:50 scale model of what Jerusalem looked like back during the Roman Empire Period). It was so fascinating. Right when we got back, a group was gathering together to go out and wish Jerusalem a Shana Tova (Happy New Year). We had a bag with lots of apples, a jar of honey, and little flyers for us to hand out to the people we saw on the street. My friend, *C.M., and I partnered up together because he didn't know enough Hebrew to help him pass out the pamphlets to the Israelis in their native tongue, Hebrew. So I walked around with him, dealing with the competition of Seminar girls who were also passing out mini flyers (but they didn't have free apples and honey like we did...instead they had candy and balloons). We ran into some Americans who knew someone I knew...weird. So on our way back to Beit Nativ, *Pete's Girl and I had the apples and honey on a plate offering it to passer-bys. We then had this great idea to go to the Gilad Shalit tent and offer them apples and honey for a sweet new year. They were so grateful of us. We all felt so special.  Once we walked in the gate, our madricha said, "If there's no dinner left, you can all kill me." (What a great thought...we're not that mean).
Fortunately there was food left and some people still in the cafeteria. After dinner we got ready to go out because we were determined to find the Waffle Bar this time. With me was *B Buddy, *Lil Bro, and *Fiddle. We had decided that each pair would split a waffle because we didn't know how big each one would be. We all ordered white chocolate.
--I'm taking a quick break to explain how this works.  He turns on the waffle maker, puts the batter on the maker. He then waits for it to cook. Once it's done, he takes it out, puts it on the plate. In this case, he puts a Hershey-Kiss-like drop of white chocolate into each square of the waffle. He then takes a scoop of ice cream, puts it in a little bowl. He then puts a nice little glob of whipped cream next to the ice cream. And to put the cherry on the cake, he dripples everything with a chocolate syrup. Can you say just AMAZING.

***WARNING***
[DO NOT READ THIS TO UNDERAGE CHILDREN...ONCE THIS SECTION IS FINISHED, I WILL CONTINUE ON TO THE ZUMBA STORY]

Once we left the Waffle Bar, we went down to Kings Bar near Ben-Yehuda Street. We met up with a group of people already there. So we sat down, ordered a shot and ordered a drink. After a fun night out, I decided to get back so I wouldn't have to disturb my roommates. I was stumbling in, up the stairs, and down the hall. I got in just fine, drank lots of water then fell asleep.

***CONTINUE READING***

Earlier today, we had a little meeting to find out who's hosting us for Rosh Hashanah lunch either tomorrow or Friday. It's a group of 2-4 people. I'm with one other person and we decided to get a bottle of wine for our host family (Moscato FTW) Then a group of us played charades. After the game, I convinced *Farmer to come take a Zumba thing with me. It was so much fun and I was proud of him that he made it to the end.
Now I'm sitting in my room relaxing before the Yuntevim

No comments:

Post a Comment