Friday, January 7, 2011

When in Rome

So I am in Rome. This is the last stop of my journey unti lIsrael Experience Week (where I will be in Poland). Yesterday, in Florence, I came down to breakfast and saw 3 fellow Nativers. After breakfast, we went our separate ways for the day. I went to the Vecchio museum (which has a copy of the David outside in case any of you were wondering how I managed to take a picture of the David), I went to the Accademia Gallery (which hosts the real David), and I went to the Uffitzi (which hosts my absolute favorite painting, The Birth of Venus). I had walked around a bit more and when it began to get dark, I went back to the hostel to relax for the night. The 3 Nativers I saw at breakfast came back, we talked for a bit, then they went to bed. I stayed on my computer. An hour later, 6 more Nativers walked in. I knew I was going to see them in Rome, but I was surprised to see them in Florence. This morning, we learned that all 10 of us were staying at the same hostel this weekend. After breakfast, I checked out of my room, got on the bus, and headed to the train station for a 9:25 train to Rome. A smooth ride for the most part. When I got off the train, I learned that the hostel was a 5 minute walk from the station. I checked in to the hostel, but I couldn't get into my room until 3:00. So I decided to walk around Rome to get to know the area a little bit before I actually went sight seeing. I walked to the Trevi Fountain and around. As I walked around even more, I felt nervous. Of all the places I'd been travelling in alone, I did not feel safe in Rome. I came back to the hostel to relax some more. 15 til 3, the 3 Nativers I first met up with in Florence asked me what I was doing for Shabbat. Not realizing it was Friday, I had nothing planned. I have a very limited time in Europe because I head back to Israel Sunday night, so I plan on spending Saturday sight seeing in Rome. I also learned that even more Nativers are staying at the same hostel. It should be an interesting weekend. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I'm not quite sure what that means, but I sure plan to find out

No comments:

Post a Comment