Sunday, January 9, 2011

Best Night Ever & I Saw the Pope...video included

My Australian roommate and I decided to get fat and go get gelato. We said "we're in Rome, we might as well." We were walking around looking for a gelateria, but couldn't find one anywhere. We were convinced that the people of Rome were hiding the gelato from us, and our Italian lovers (of whom don't actually exist...DON'T WORRY DAD). We walked past this one restaurant where one of the waiters, who was standing outside trying to get people eat there, handed us a card. We walked into the train station and found gelato that satisfied both of our needs: variety of flavors and enough gelato to make us happy. We got 3 flavors each. Then, we decided to go get dinner and walked to the restaurant that we had walked past previously. We sat down, ordered our food and a half bottle of wine (red wine for me). During the meal, we learned the waiter who handed us the card was Moroccon and the inside waiter was Indian. As we were finishing up our meal, the Indian waiter came up to us and said at 11:30 we close, you will come out with us? At first, we thought it was a joke, but he was persistant about it and we realized he wasn't joking. We asked for the bill and quickly left. We got back to the hostel, met a new roommate (also from Australia). We ended up talking about religion and history and it's interpretation, then she and I decided to go to the Trevi Fountain and make a wish and take pictures. I put on a dress, and we headed out. Along the way, we decided we might as well get more gelato. We went into this restaurant/gelateria, paid, then got gelato. I got kiwi and watermelon. It was delicious. The guy who served us gelato knew I was from the States and asked me if I spoke Italian. I said no, but he still said something to me in Italian. As we were looking for the Trevi Fountain, we asked someone if we were going the correct way. He said we were. After we left him, I wanted to go back to him because I thought that he looked and sounded like Seth Rogen. We continued on our way and got to the Trevi Fountain. We took pictures and a couple asked us to take a picture of them. The husband was from New York and the wife was from Colombia. As my roommate was taking pictures, one of the picture-taking-mosquitos came up to me, asked me my age, said he like 18, and told me I was very beautiful. Then as we were taking pictures of ourselves, 2 Italian men (who were kinda old) came up to us, one asked "are you from Texas?" and I said yes. We soon realized he was asking my Australian roommate. Then they asked where she's from. They guessed the United States and Canada (even though she has a distinct Australian accent). We talked for a bit, then for some reason, they asked me what my astrological sign was (the second time I had been asked that question that night). As we shook them off, another mosquito-picture-taker came up to us, handed us roses, we took pictures with them, then he asked for money...so we handed them back to him. We had decided that from the time we found the first gelato place to the time we got back to the hostel after the Trevi Fountain, everything had worked out for us.

I was suggested to go to the Vatican today to see the pope speak in St. Petersburg Square. So I said why not, I have nothing else to do today. Everything I really had wanted to do, I did the previous day: the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain (twice in fact), the number of churches, etc... So as I arrived in the Vatican, I said to myself "I'm in another country." Then my next thought was "I'm actually at the Vatican. Wow." Finally I said "I'm going to see the pope today. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity." I stood around St. Petersburg Square for an hour just waiting to see the pope. I videotaped everything he said, including the blessings he gave. Imagine...me, a good Jewish girl, receiving a priestly blessing from the pope himself in St. Petersburg Square. After he said his blessings, I think I was the only one who did not respond with 'amen.'

No comments:

Post a Comment